Thursday, January 31, 2008

Letter to many MPS and in Particular Chris Bryant

Dear Mr Bryant

I wish to make an additional comment to an article that I have heard that you are supporting or lobbying for. Please forgive me as I am not very well educated and no good a political etiquette, nor am i that good at writing stuff.
You have said that you want every child to receive a book on their 11th Birthday regarding sexual education and also I believe (night be a bit muddled here) providing condoms - in a bid to reduce teenage pregnancy. This is a major breakthrough and I hope that each child will individually receive 10 -15 minutes at least of counselling regarding this leaflet.

What I would like to add to this - as I want to be able to provide a leaflet too for every child to on their 1st day of school either age 5 or perhaps age 7 (5 maybe to young but possibly too late.) I want to help stamp out child sexual abuse. Every child must know that it is wrong to be touched inappropriately by their carers and they need to have the tools to know that they will not be murdered or silenced or taken away if they tell what’s going on. Each child will have a leaflet go back to their families stating that each child has access to an adult or telephone number and that every adult must know that there is a minimum sentence for abuse even if it is only 1 event - as it makes barely any difference if it happens once or 10,000 times or in my case over 3,000 times. Every year the child should see a school nurse or doctor to discuss if they are aware that child abuse is wrong and children will learn that they have to take better care of themselves at an earlier age and potential abusers face stronger sentences when cases are bought to their attention.

I believe that because 1 in 3 girls and 1 in 7 boys are abused it is causing a major dysfunction in society and these children grow up to be dysfunctional adults that don’t CANT care about their own children and these children grow up knot caring about their children. Many teenage pregnancies result from abuse or second generation abuse and more needs to be done to protect children from adults that have no clue how to be good parents that can safely inform their children about the dangers or teenage pregnancies or STD or worse life threatening illnesses transmitted thru sex.

As you may have gathered I am a survivor of 10 years sexual abuse and have had more than 5 abortions because I never as a young adult was shown that I have choices. My perpetrator did go to prison 15 years later for what he did for 18 months,. but I am still paying the price for those lost children and my lost childhood and feel the pain of all other children that suffer at the hands of abuse. The more children that continued to be abused is - one day- another generation of dysfunctional adults. Child abuse in turn is a huge drain on resources. I have not been able to work for 7 years since remembering my abuse. That’s 7 7ears of being on benefits and “living off the state” it takes me one month to save the money now for one session a month of therapy. My recovery is slow. I have no family and am a single parent of a disable child. I am seen once every six weeks by the mental health unit and fortunately for me I am in the system and have access to some help. There are hundreds of thousands out there like me and this message needs to be bought to the children when they are young enough to escape. If someone had of told me when I was 5 that no one was allowed to touch me and have sex with me then just maybe I would of told if I knew then that I would be kept safe.

The leaflet should contain information to the child stating that under no circumstances will they come to any harm if they tell about abuse. They must know it is wrong for adults to use them for sexual reasons and it is not normal to be abused. it is wrong!!! They will be saved from a life of misery and mental health issues and have the chance to grow up and be well adjusted children free of abuse and maybe even those even those who do face abuse at some point if the message is constantly being given out perhaps the right support can intervene and their abusers facing long sentences and then grow up to be sensible teenagers and one day parents with children that they can teach good values to.

I will be sending this email to as many children’s organisations and mps as I can to see if on that “leaflet” for children about sexual education - that at least there is a mention – but hopefully an awful lot more about stamping out abuse.

No comments: